The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) confirms that each year, there are approximately 420,000 accidents – some of which are literally deadly –here in the U.S.
What’s causing such a high number of large truck accidents?
In this issue, the highly experienced Los Angeles truck accident lawyer, Ramtin Sadighim, will share the most commonly associated reasons accidents and injuries are experienced with a large truck, and how to avoid such incidents.
What Causes a Truck Accident?
First, it’s important to define what a large truck is for the purposes of this entry.
Large trucks typically weigh 10,000 pounds or more. They can be a single-unit truck or a combination, such as a truck pulling a trailer.
Here are the most commonly reported reasons or causes of accidents involving large trucks:
- Driver fatigue
- An overloaded truck that is difficult to maneuver (because of their bulk, large trucks are not likely to stop as quickly as a car or pick-up truck)
- Defective parts and improper maintenance
- Brake failure
How Dangerous are Truck Accidents?
For the driver on the business end of a large truck accident, the results can be deadly. Few personally owned vehicles are able to withstand the sheer force of a multi-ton truck.
Injuries routinely reported from large truck accidents include:
- Injuries to the spinal cord, neck and back
- Internal injuries
- Broken bones
How Can I Avoid Truck Accidents?
A few proactive steps you can take will significantly reduce the likelihood of being involved in a truck accident:
- Staying away from a truck operator’s blind spot (do not follow too closely where the driver cannot see you)
- Always pass a large truck on its left side
- Do not turn directly in front of a large truck (as stated above, because of their size and cargo, large trucks are usually unable to quickly come to a full stop)
If You’re Involved in a Truck Accident, call Ramtin Sadighim Law
As one of the leading Los Angeles personal injury attorneys, Ramtin Sadighim will thoroughly examine your accident case and develop a winning strategy for you to get the compensation you deserve.
For further information or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Law Offices of Ramtin Sadighim at 888-999-8744 or visit www.CaliAccidentAttorney.com to learn more.