One day last year, a sudden rainstorm resulted in havoc on Los Angeles roadways. At the end of the day, police officers reported 397 crashes – nearly quadrupling the typical number of about 100.
Apparently, those numbers are par for the course. The California Highway Patrol confirms that auto accidents in the Golden State increase by over 200% during rainstorms.
In this issue, the reputable Los Angeles car accident lawyer RamtinSadighim will discuss why accidents increase so dramatically during harsh weather and tips on how to prevent being involved in one.
Why Does the Number of Car Accidents Increase During Rainy Weather?
There is a host of factors involved. The primary reason, though, is that many drivers do not adjust their driving habits when the roads are wet.
That in itself can be dangerous because while the driver may be reluctant to change, the surrounding environment already has.
For example, the reaction of your brakes is limited on wet roads because of a layer of water on the asphalt that causes less traction for your brakes.
Also, debris (oil, gasoline, dirt, etc.) that has been allowed to build-up on the roadways during periods without rain are now making the road even more slippery.
How Can I Prevent a Car Accident When It Rains?
Because theperception and reaction time of most people is reduced while driving in bad weather, accidents can happen suddenly. There are several proactive steps to take to reduce your chances of experiencing a wet weather accident.
- Make sure your windshield wipers and car tires are in good condition.
- Do not tailgate. Keep a good amount of distance from the vehicles in front of you.
- Stop for at least five seconds at broken or flashing traffic lights.
- Know how to take action in case your car hydroplanes. The key is to take your foot off the accelerator and steer straight. Only apply your brakes when you feel the tires regain traction.
- Slow down so that your tires’ traction is increased and you have more response time to react to hazards, if necessary.
- Make sure other drivers see you by turning your headlights on.
Remember, driving on wet roads can distort your perception; roads that appear to be fine could be far more slippery than what you’re accustomed. Better to take necessary precautions and be safe than to suffer the consequences.
IF YOU OR A LOVED ONE HAS BEEN INJURED BY A NEGLIGENT DRIVER, CALL RAMTIN SADIGHIM, THE LEADING CAR ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN LOS ANGELES
Car accidents can occur in any type of weather. If you’ve been injured by another driver’s carelessness, we want to help you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
To schedule an appointment or questions, please contact the Law Offices of RamtinSadighim at 888.999.8744 or visit www.CaliAccidentAttorney.com to learn more.