There are, generally, three ways you can obtain the auto insurance information of the other motorist. They include:
- After an accident, exchange auto insurance information. In most instances, the other motorist will likely agree to exchange information without much hassle.
- After an accident, the officer who first arrived at the scene will subsequently draft an accident report. This report will contain key pieces of information about what happened, who was involved and the auto insurance information of each motorist. You have the right to request a copy of the accident report once it is finalized by law enforcement.
- If you file a personal injury lawsuit, you can pursue the auto insurance information as part of the discovery process.
The more information you obtain, the easier the claims process will be. If possible, get the following information from the other driver (and any passengers):
- Name of the motorist
- Home address of the other motorist
- Cell phone number
- Make and model of their vehicle
- Auto insurance provider and related policy number
- License plate number
- Registration information
If the other driver refuses to give insurance details, notify law enforcement. Typically, when a police officer arrives at the scene of the accident, they will assess the situation, provide assistance to anyone in need, and collect vital pieces of information about what exactly happened. Subsequently, they will draft a police report summarizing the events, including the date of the accident, the time it occurred, the exact location, relevant parties, the extent of damage, and whether anyone was charged with a traffic offense or related charge.
In some instances, the police report may even include a narrative component featuring the opinions of the officer who arrived at the scene of the accident. As you can probably tell, this is why it is so important to secure a copy of a police report after an auto accident.
Have Questions? Contact an experienced Los Angeles Car Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a car accident in Los Angeles and need legal representation, contact the reputable Law Office of Ramtin Sadighim today. Our expert Los Angeles car accident attorneys are here to help you from start to finish, including receiving the proper medical attention and obtaining maximum financial compensation for your recovery. We offer free, confidential case evaluations to all prospective clients. For further information or to schedule an appointment please contact Law Office of Ramtin Sadighim at 888.999.8744 or visit www.CaliAccidentAttorney.com to learn more.