When you have suffered serious injuries in an accident, it can affect your life for years to come. You may still be feeling overwhelmed by everything you’ve been through and unsure of what your next steps should be.
No matter what type of accident you were injured in, you’ll likely need to file a claim with an insurance company to recover certain damages. Here are some of the most important things you need to know about filing an insurance claim in California.
- The state of California follows a fault based system for insurance purposes. This means that after you have been injured in an accident, you will file a claim with the liable party’s insurer. Their insurance company will then be obligated to compensate you for certain types of losses.
- There are several unscrupulous tactics insurance companies use to reduce their own financial loss. Some will try to place the blame for the accident on you. They may try to get you to give them a statement that they can then manipulate to reduce your settlement. Don’t let yourself get taken advantage of. Have your personal injury attorney in Los Angeles negotiate with the insurance company, so your compensation is protected.
What Happens If the Insurer Doesn’t Settle Your Claim Fairly?
It isn’t unusual for insurance companies to only provide compensation for economic damages. These might include your medical bills and property damage. But the insurer is only required to compensate you up to the limit of the insured’s policy.
This means if the liable party only carried $50,000 in bodily injury liability coverage, but your medical bills were $100,000, the insurer only has to pay you as much as $50,000. So how can you make sure you’re fully compensated for every way in which your life has been affected by the accident? You file a civil claim.
Here, you can seek compensation for all you’ve endured. This includes both economic and , such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Loss of household services
- Medical expenses and equipment
- Skin scarring
- Loss of companionship and love
- Property damage costs
- Punitive damages
Injured in an Accident? Call The Law Office of Ramtin Sadighim Today
When you have suffered critical injuries in an accident, you need legal help you can trust. An experienced Los Angeles personal injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Ramtin Sadighim can help you maximize your injury settlement and get the most out of your claim.